Tuesday, September 21, 2010

30 Days of Blogging, Day 17: Something you're a little OCD about

This one's also pretty easy to answer (although, sad to say, there are many things that fall into this category.)  I'm completely OCD about symmetry and evenness.  A framed photo hung on the wall at even a slight angle will drive me nuts.  If I'm starting a new project, generally I need to start it at the beginning of a week (or month), which is why I was pretty proud of myself for starting a 30-day challenge on September 5th.  The much more likely response would have been to wait until October 1st.  Or perhaps November, which actually has 30 days and wouldn't have one leftover day, like October.

I'm telling you, it's bad.

Whenever I'm painting a room, I can spend untold amounts of time trying to get a straight line at the top of the wall or around the doorjamb.  Even in spots that aren't going to show--if I know there's a blob of paint on the wall, I'm going to scrape it off and work to cover it up.  Trying to texturize the walls in my bathroom was a nightmare because I really wanted the lumpiness to be even across the wall, when of course the point of texturizing is random lumpiness to cover irregularities in the wall surface.

My friend Chris likes to come into my office and move the calendar on the corner of my desk.  It's always positioned at a 45-degree angle from the front edge of the desk, lined up with the right-hand corner.  One day he came in and nearly had a heart attack when he noticed the calendar had been knocked out of position by something I'd put on top of it.  (I'm not a neat freak, so clutter isn't unusual, but generally speaking my clutter is organized in piles.  To recycle.  To deal with.  To file.  Etc.)  After he moves the calendar, he likes to stand there talking to me because he knows I won't move it back until he leaves.  But he also knows I'm barely capable of holding a conversation while my calendar is askew. 

This passes for entertainment at my office.

No comments: