Wednesday, September 15, 2010

30 Days of Blogging, Day 11: A photo that makes you sad

I belong to a Facebook group, Pawsitively Texas, that works to find homes for animals who are in danger of being put to sleep at area shelters.  The guy at left, Scott, was one of the dogs on their rescue list several weeks ago.  I see pictures of adorable, needy cats and dogs every day via this group, but something about Scott's picture just broke my heart.  His eyes looked so sad.  He reminded me of our dog, Hailey, when we found her at a local shelter.  Even my son, who was six years old at the time, asked me "Why is her face so sad?"  I told him she was sad because she needed a family, and that's why we needed to adopt her.  She's been a much-loved member of our clan ever since that day.

I knew we couldn't adopt Scott, but I kept checking back to see if someone had adopted him.  He did find a foster home, so at least he was safe from immediate danger.  Then I read that he'd tested positive for heartworm disease, and I figured his fate had been sealed.  In its advanced stages--as it is in Scott's case--heartworm is an expensive disease to treat, and a HW+ dog requires special care.  I couldn't imagine someone would adopt a dog, even one as beautiful as this guy, knowing he came with that kind of baggage.

But guess what?  Someone did.  Some beautiful soul looked at Scott's picture, saw the same sad face, and did something about it without regard to the cost or care Scott will involve.  His name is Chance now, which seems completely fitting to me. I swear he's smiling in this picture.

No comments: