Friday, September 17, 2010

30 Days of Blogging, Day 13: Your Favorite Band or Artist

I love music.  I was one of those teenage girls who felt like Top 40 radio was speaking about her directly.  When MTV made the scene--first as a half-hour TV show, when I was in junior high, and later as the All Music, All The Time channel it became--it completely changed my life.  I spent ridiculous amounts of time sitting around, watching videos and listening to music.

I have a very clear memory of the first time I saw the video of R.E.M. singing "So. Central Rain."  I loved that song.  I loved Michael Stipe's voice.  I loved Michael Stipe's hair.  And when I heard that song, I knew I was hearing something I'd never heard before.

R.E.M. has always felt that way to me. Hearing  "Cuyahoga" and "Fall on Me" for the first time felt very similar to that first encounter with "So. Central Rain."  I'm less crazy about their more recent stuff, but I realize bands and artists need to evolve.  Nobody wants to sing the exact same song over and over for thirty years. So I'll just keep listening to the old stuff and reliving the revelations of my youth.

No comments: