Saturday, September 18, 2010

30 Days of Blogging, Day 14: Your Favorite TV Show

Although the TV is often turned on at my house, I don't watch a lot of it--the television often serves only as background noise.  When I'm writing or working seriously, I need a quiet house.  When I'm just putzing around on the computer, or reading a magazine, the background noise of the TV is there to keep me company.  (Also, I find it very difficult to do only one thing at a time.  If I'm a reading a magazine, I have to be watching TV simultaneously.  And vice-versa.)

One of the main reasons I don't watch a lot of TV is that so much of what's on now is just disgusting.  It's vulgar and childish and just generally more offensive than anything else.  When I do have the TV on, I'll watch reruns of older shows (like Seinfeld) or something on Food Network.  The only current television I watch with any regularity is Mad Men--I do love me some tormented bad boy, as long as the torment is genuine and not self-serving--and, now that it's back, Parenthood.  I like that the family on this show seems real.  The adult children bicker with each other and carry grudges, like siblings (even grown siblings) tend to do; the younger children have real issues to deal with, not just the usual high school drama; and the couples are fighting over real problems, like whose job should take priority when family decisions have to be made.

I don't know if I could choose between those two, or which one I'd choose if I had to.      

No comments: