Sunday, August 17, 2008

Begin the Begin

The start of a new school year seems like the right time to start a new project--especially since I'm on sabbatical this semester. My official project for the fall is to get a jump on my second novel; the first, Little Lost River, is selling steadily, and having written one gives me some confidence that I can write another. But a blog seems like a more manageable task, something I can accomplish even on days when the words pile up against each other like typewriter keys and get stuck inside my brain. Which is more often than I'd like to admit.

In one week, my kids will be back in school and my days will be wide open again. This is both an exciting and daunting prospect, since time and space are two of the three basic ingredients of writing. But the third--good ideas--can't be supplied by the local school district. (Not by my local school district, anyway.) As I'm often telling my students, in writing you have to make the clay before you can start to shape it into something beautiful.

I've been thinking about this particular batch of clay for quite awhile, but next week begins the process of making it real.

No comments: