Monday, September 15, 2008

The Wildlife Catalog

Three deer, grazing in a corner of the back lawn when I got up and opened my window shades.

Two fat and casual raccoons who emerged from the shrubs when the rain stopped yesterday afternoon and moseyed across the back lawn toward the garden, not the least bit concerned about who might be seeing them. They know this is their home and we're just polite guests, trying not to leave our footprints.

An abundance of chipmunks, too many to count, one of whom had breakfast with me this morning--I sat in the geranium room with my coffee and newspaper, he sat calmly on the window ledge, on the other side of the glass, eating seeds from a dish someone had placed there for him.

Two arrows of Canada Geese flying south through the cold, clear sky--one early this morning, one just a few moments ago. A sure sign that fall is on its way.

No comments: